Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has hailed the performance of Harry Kane following Spurs’ 3-2 win at West Ham United on Saturday afternoon.
Spurs jumped into a 3-0 lead prior to the hour mark, but the Hammers came back with two goals on either side of Serge Aurier’s sending off.
Speaking after the game, Pochettino had special praise for Kane, who bagged an impressive brace in the London derby. The Englishman could have easily bagged a hat-trick on the night, but he hit the woodwork twice during the course of the game. Pochettino said: “I find it hard to find the words to describe him. I am in love like the fans are in love, like his team-mates are in love. He is so humble, he keeps all the values that managers like me appreciate a lot.
Meanwhile, the manager also refused to blame Aurier for his sending off which was reckless, nonetheless, as it allowed the Hammers a way back into the game, he added: “I think the first yellow wasn’t yellow. Then, of course, we are disappointed because he got the second, but that is football. When I was a player I made a lot of mistakes. But I am happy with him – he’s only been working with us for 20 days so I am happy. Continue reading
Former Liverpool star-turned-pundit Dean Saunder questioned the loyalty of Tottenham Hotspur supporters following the dismal attendance in the 1-0 League Cup win over Barnsley. Spurs are playing their home games at the Wembley as they step up their construction work on the new stadium which is expected to be ready for the 2018/19 season.
The north Londoners are yet to win a league game at the national stadium this season with the ‘Wembley hoodoo’ being a topic of speculation among pundits as well as the supporters. The attendance at the Wembley has been relatively poor when compared to the Old White Hart Lane, and despite lowering the ticket prices, Saunders was amazed at the low turnout (23,826 fans) for the League Cup tie. Continue reading
Belgium international Toby Alderweireld has insisted that he is content at Tottenham Hotspur despite their reluctance to offer him an improved contract.
The versatile defender was thought to be unhappy about the matter after his representative recently urged Spurs to show their trust towards one of their key first-team players.
Mauricio Pochettino has since suggested that all is well between him and Alderweireld after having held a positive meeting with the former Atletico Madrid man. Speaking to Sky Sports, the Belgian shared the same opinion by stating that he is more concerned about his game with the World Cup coming along in nine months’ time.
He said: “I had a good conversation with the manager. I told him I’m focused on football, to keep my game up and help the team. That’s all I can do. You can see I’m happy there, and I try to help the team, and that’s the way I always play football. Asked if he’d been offered a new deal yet, Alderweireld replied: “No, like I said, I am focused on football. The rest, I don’t know, we will see about that.” Continue reading
Liverpool outcast Divock Origi could make a switch to Tottenham Hotspur before Thursday’s transfer deadline, the player’s father has revealed.
The Belgium international has yet to start a league game for the Reds this season with his sole appearance being a nine-minute cameo in the 3-3 against Watford on the opening day.
Earlier last week, Klopp highlighted that Origi could be allowed to pursue a move away from Anfield as he can no longer guarantee him a starting berth ahead of the likes of Roberto Firmino, Daniel Sturridge and summer signing Dominic Solanke.
Mauricio Pochettino’s side had approached for the 22-year-old back in the summer of 2014, but the Reds pipped them to his services following an impressive outing at the 2014 World Cup. Origi has since played second fiddle to Firmino, in particular, and his national prospects look bleak ahead of next year’s World Cup in Russia.
“Divock has to leave Liverpool to get more playing time. Tottenham is a possibility, but there is also interest from France and Germany,” Origi’s father Mike told DH.be. Continue reading
Tottenham Hotspur defender Jan Vertonghen feels that the club’s lack of spending will have to no effect on their progress in the upcoming campaign.
The Belgian international also adds that the pressure is on their Premier League opponents with the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea having spent fees in excess of £100m to recruit players.
In a report by Goal.com, Vertonghen said: “But with spending there’s a lot of pressure on the teams. There are four, five teams maybe who have to become champions now and that will put great pressure on them. That makes the Premier League the best league in the world to watch. It’s a great thing to play in. I’m happy everyone has strengthened their teams because that makes it so much better when you beat them.”
Spurs made an improvement on the 2015/16 campaign where they finished third in order to finish runners-up to Chelsea last term. And Vertonghen feels that the club are moving in the right direction despite having made no signings in the summer transfer window. Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is said to be focusing on the club’s youth academy, and the club are looking to develop their facilities further prior to the switch to their new stadium next summer. Continue reading
Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho admits that his club are still far behind the likes of Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City and Chelsea as they look to end their four-year wait for the Premier League crown.
The Special One insists that the Red Devils have been left behind in the ‘evolution of football’ following the club’s average run under former boss Louis van Gaal.
United have spent more than £100m on Romelu Lukaku and Victor Lindelof this summer, but he insists that they are not favourites for the English title considering the transfer activity of Manchester City, who have spent more than double the figure. Meanwhile, the Portuguese manager already had a special praise for Tottenham Hotspur, who have not spent a penny during this summer’s transfer window.
Spurs have made a good profit of £50m from the sale of Kyle Walker to City, but Mauricio Pochettino is content with the options at hand ahead of the new season. Mourinho is undoubtedly envious about the players present at the north London club after he named a few including Dele Alli, Harry Kane and Eric Dier, who remain pivotal to Spurs’ success for the upcoming campaign. Continue reading
Kieran Trippier has inked a long-term deal with Tottenham Hotspur to keep him at the club until the summer of 2022. The 26-year-old become the first-choice right wing-back for Spurs in the backend of last season, and he has now been rewarded for his efforts.
Trippier joined the north London giants from Burnley in the summer of 2015, and he was originally seen as a backup option to Kyle Walker, who was a favourite among the Spurs faithful. However, the one-time England international took the chance at his disposal and eventually ousted Walker from his position of comfort. Continue reading
England’s latest 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification campaign saw them having to settle with a 2-2 draw against Scotland as both national sides faced off on June 10 of 2017. This result solidifies England for the top position of group F from the UEFA section of the qualification stages.
Out of the 6 qualifying matches that England has played so far, they have won 4 and drawn 2 which has allowed them to snatch 14 points and are above everyone else from that group but Slovakia and Slovenia are following England closely behind with 12 and 11 points earned respectively so far. Continue reading
Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly keen on securing the signature of Everton midfielder Ross Barkley in the summer, but will not bow down to the Toffees’ current valuation.
The Merseyside outfit are said to demand £50m for the England international, who has just a year left on his existing deal. Barkley has followed the suit of fellow teammate Romelu Lukaku to snub a fresh contract at Goodison, and Koeman has previously hinted that the player could be sold during the summer transfer window. Continue reading
Tottenham Hotspur appear to have found a suitable buyer for Moussa Sissoko as they plan to offload him from their ranks during the summer transfer window.
The France international was a hurried buy for Spurs last summer as they hijacked a £30m deal for Everton to sign him on deadline day. On the back of an impressive Euro 2016, Sissoko would have been the perfect dream signing for the north London club, but the player simply failed to showcase his qualities following his switch from Newcastle United.
Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino has barely put a foot wrong during his managerial reign at Old Trafford, but Sissoko has emerged as a dreadful signing under all conditions after he failed to find the net in 33 outings across all competitions. Many would argue that the Frenchman was not offered ample opportunities on his preferred right wing position, but he still failed to replicate his form whenever offered a place in the starting lineup.
French publication L’Equipe suggests that Sissoko could be offered an escape route to his home nation where he made his name with Toulouse. Marseille have expressed their desire to return to the top with big name signings in the form Dimitri Payet and Patrice Evra last winter, and the club are keen to further strengthen the squad with a host of Premier League-based players. Continue reading