Former Tottenham Hotspur star Pascal Chimbonda has said that Spurs made the right choice to withdraw their interest in signing Aaron Wan-Bissaka. The 21-year-old had captured the attention of both Spurs and Manchester United but ultimately, the latter won the race for his signature after agreeing on a package worth £50m with Crystal Palace.
Speaking to Goal.com, Chimbonda said that the north London giants made the right decision with Wan-Bissaka, considering the right-back is far from the finished article, he quipped: “Tottenham made the right choice to not try and sign Wan-Bissaka. He had a very good season for Palace, but he’s still very far off from becoming a proven player. Tottenham need to strengthen other parts of the pitch more urgently and Wan-Bissaka would have taken a massive wedge out of the transfer budget.”
Former Tottenham Hotspur ace Darren Bent has said that Spurs supporters won’t have any hatred towards Christian Eriksen, should he part ways with the club during the current transfer window. The Denmark international has just 12 months remaining on his existing deal with the club and so far, he has shown no intention of putting pen-to-paper on a new contract.
As such, the north London side face the potential risk of losing him on a free in 12 months’ time and Bent believes there won’t be any ill-feeling from the fans, should the Dane seek a fresh challenge this summer, he told Sky Sports: “No Spurs fan will look at Eriksen and give him any stick because he’s been loyal to them and given them great service. The fans will let him go with open arms. He’d be a big loss but he’d fit the mould for Real Madrid really well. I don’t know how much they are planning on spending because they’ve already spent £200m and they’d have to spend another £80-100m to get Eriksen.”
Liverpool defender Joel Matip is confident that the Reds can beat Tottenham Hotspur in next month’s Champions League final in Madrid. The Merseyside outfit reached the competition’s final after their stunning comeback triumph over Barcelona and they are now regarded as the favourites to secure a sixth Champions League crown.
Speaking to the club’s official website, Matip acknowledged that he did not experience the best of starts to the season after sustaining an injury during the pre-season tour. He added that he is pleased to make a major contribution during the backend of the campaign and is confident that the Reds will come up triumphs against Spurs on June 1.
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has acknowledged that Spurs may have to do without Jan Vertonghen during next month’s Champions League final against Liverpool. The north London side made it to the final showpiece after a dramatic turnaround against Ajax in the semi-final stage but it appears that they won’t be able to bank on the services of Vertonghen.
Speaking in a press conference, Pochettino said that the Belgian is very down at the moment, concerning he could miss the final after picking up an ankle injury in Amsterdam. He added that there are plenty of other individuals for the same position and it would require a team effort to secure the Champions League title.
Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has heaped praise on Lucas Moura following his maiden hat-trick for the club. The Brazil international has been a squad player for most of the season but he has nonetheless impressed with 12 goals including a maiden hat-trick in the 4-0 mauling of Huddersfield Town.
Speaking after the game, Pochettino acknowledged that he needed to make changes with respect to the Champions League meeting against Manchester City. He added to appreciate the performance of Moura, who not only secured his maiden hat-trick with the club, but also the first at the club’s new Tottenham Hotspur stadium.
Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has said that Harry Kane could potentially miss the remainder of the season after picking up a fresh ankle injury during the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final tie against Manchester City. The England international recently spent a 40-day period on the sidelines with ankle ligament damage and Pochettino has suggested that he may have suffered a recurrence of the same.
Speaking to BT Sport, Pochettino said that he is definitely worried about the present injury for the striker, given it may potentially end his involvement for the campaign, he said: “I am worried he will miss the rest of the season. We hope it’s not a big issue and he can recover as soon as possible but it doesn’t look good. If you see the action, it shows he twisted his ankle and maybe damaged the ligaments again. We will check in the next few days. It is so painful but what can we do?”
Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has said that his team have not been good enough following the Premier League defeat at Southampton. The north London side picked up a 1-0 lead over the Saints in the first half and they continued to hold the advantage until the 76th minute when Yan Valery levelled the scores.
Thereafter, Spurs were expected to make a late push for the winner but it was the Saints, who came up triumphs after another stunning free-kick from James Ward-Prowse. Speaking after the game, Pochettino admitted that his side are still far off from competing for silverware unlike perceived in the media over the past few seasons.
France international Moussa Sissoko is pleased to have turned things around with Tottenham Hotspur. The midfielder joined the north London side from Newcastle United after a strong Euro 2016 performance but he could not replicate the showing during the next two seasons where he was criticised by the club’s supporters.
However, he has managed to change his fortunes during the ongoing campaign with a number of standout displays from midfield and speaking to TalkSPORT, he has revealed the satisfaction on doing so after an unfruitful beginning to his Spurs career, he said: “I’m very proud and I will try to keep [improving]. Since I came [to Tottenham] everything hasn’t been easy for me, for different reasons – I don’t want to speak about it – but the most important thing for me was to keep focussed, stay strong in my head, and keep working. I knew I had the quality to be successful here, I had to keep working and never give up and I would have the chance to be a success.”
Arsenal legend-turned-pundit Ian Wright is surprised by the fact that Heung-min Son has not been linked with any high-profile European clubs across Europe. The South Korea international has transformed into a top performer for Tottenham Hotspur and of late, he has taken over the scoring mantle in the absence of the injured Harry Kane.
Speaking on BBC 5 Live Sport, Wright said that he would have loved the likes of Harry Kane and Dele Alli to feature alongside Son against Borussia Dortmund, though that won’t be the case. He added that the Asian superstar should be worth at least £70million on current form and he is surprised that none of the elite European clubs have made an approach for him.
Manchester United legend-turned-pundit Gary Neville believes Tottenham Hotspur are unlikely to compete with Liverpool and Manchester City for the Premier League title despite impressing during the first half of the season. The north London side went through a tough summer where they failed to secure a single signing but that has not hampered their performances on the field with just six points separating them from the top position.
Despite this, Neville does not feel that Spurs have the credentials to challenge Liverpool and City for the English crown, given they don’t have the necessary depth within the squad unlike their counterparts, he said: “No, I don’t think so. That’s not being disrespectful to Tottenham, I don’t think they’ve got the depth and the quality of these two squads. They are a fantastic team, but they’re not at the level we’ve seen from these two tonight.”